Registration Certificate or Residence Card for Direct Family Members
Registration Certificate or Residence Card for Direct Family Members

Registration Certificate or Residence Card for Direct Family Members: In my previous videos I’ve given you an overview of the applications forms, which EEA nationals and their family members can use when making their application. I also explained why, when, how you can apply for a EEA family permit and a Registration Certificate. In today’s video I’ll concentrate on the third type of application form: Registration Certificate or Residence Card as a Direct Family Member.


Who Can Apply?

I would like to make it very simple for you:

  1. The first thing you have to understand is that this type of application is for direct family members (I’ve if you check my channel, you’ll find a video, where I explain the direct and extended family members category, please do watch to understand the difference and also to see how you can fit in one these categories);


  1. The second thing to understand that here is that direct family members can either EEA national themselves or they can be non-EEA nationals. So, if you are an EEA national, then you’ll be applying for a Registration Certificate. And if you are a Non-EEA national, you will be applying for a residence card. This is the only difference between the two documents.


What are the Requirements for Issuing a Registration Certificate or a Residence Card as a Direct Family Member?

There are only two requirements:

  1. You need to prove that you belong to one of the above categories;
  2. The relevant EEA national is a qualified person. The relevant EEA national does not need to have applied for or been issued with a registration certificate before a direct family member applies.


I’ve prepared a number of separate videos, explaining various terms, such as ‘retained right of residence’, ‘direct’ and ‘extended family members’ and ‘qualified persons’. Please do watch these videos before making your application.

What is the Procedure for Making This Application and How Much Does It Cost?

  1. It costs £65 per person.
  2. You will need to complete the EEA (FM) form;
  3. And send it to the UKVI together with
  4. all the supporting evidence.


When Will It be Granted and How Long is It Valid For? 

According to the Regulations the Secretary of State must issue a registration certificate immediately on application. That is provided you produce all the necessary documents. There is no expiry date of this document. And this document will be valid for as long as the relevant EEA national remains a qualified person. With regards to a residence card, by law you should get it within 6 months after applying. It is valid for 5 years.

From 6 April 2015 a non-EEA national applying for a residence card will have to enrol their biometrics in order to be issued a document confirming their right to reside in the UK under European Union (EU) law.

Registration Certificate or Residence Card for Direct Family Members