Registration Certificate or Residence Card for Extended Family Members. In my previous blog posts and videos I’ve given you an overview of the applications forms, which EEA nationals and their family members can use when making their application. I also explained why, when, how you can apply for a EEA family permit, a Registration Certificate as a Qualified Person and also a Registration Certificate and a Residence Card as Direct Family Member. In today’s video I’ll concentrate on the 4th type of application form: Registration Certificate or Residence Card as an Extended Family Member.


Extended family members of EEA nationals, the 1st thing you should do is to watch my video, where I explain the Extended Family Category. This is a tricky category and it is very important that you watch this video because all extended family members should prove their right to remain in the UK, if you wish and if they do not apply for a Registration Certificate or a Residence Card they will be considered as overstayers.


Who Can Apply?


I would like to make it very simple for you:

  1. All extended family members should apply for either a registration certificate or a residence card.
  2. Those extended family members who are EEA national themselves should apply for a Registration Certificate. Also all non-EEA national extended family members should apply for a residence card. This is the only difference between the two documents.


What are the Requirements for Issuing a Registration Certificate or a Residence Card as a Extended Family Member?

There are only two requirements:

  1. You need to prove that you belong to one of the above categories;
  2. The relevant EEA national is a qualified person. There is no requirement for a relevant EEA national to get a registration certificate before a direct family member applies.


What is the Procedure for Making This Application and How Much Does It Cost?

  1. It will cost you £65 to make an application.
  2. You will need to complete the EEA (EFM) form;
  3. And send it to the UKVI together with
  4. all the supporting evidence.


When Will It be Granted and How Long is It Valid For? 

The applicants should get their Registration Certificates immediately on application and production of all the necessary documents. There is no expiry date of this document as long as the relevant EEA national remains a qualified person.

By law, the applicants should get their residence Cards within a maximum period of 6 months and are valid for 5 years.

Also all non-EEA national applicants will have to enrol their biometrics in order to get a residence card.

For more articles relating to this topic CLICK HERE.

Registration Certificate or Residence Card for Extended Family Members