Study in the UK as an International Student

Requirements You Need to Meet in Order to Study in the UK as an International Student

You will be considered as an international student if you are not a British Citizen and not from the European Economic Areas. In order for you to study in the UK as an international student, you’ll need to make a visa application. It is known as a Tier 4 (General) Student visa application.

General Structure of PBS Applications
General Structure of PBS Applications

As with all Points Based System Applications, the applicants (those who apply) need to understand 5 key elements of their application:

  1. They must not fall under General Grounds for Refusal;
  2. Score the necessary points for the Attributes (under Appendix A);
  3. Meet English language requirement if it applies (under Appendix B);
  4. Prove to the decision maker that they have the necessary funds to support themselves and their dependents, while in the UK (Appendix C);
  5. Meet several other requirements.

Let me explain this further.

All Tier 4 (General) Students will need to score 40 points for their application. 30 points for the Attributes and 10 points for maintenance.

General Grounds for Refusal

General Grounds for Refusal
General Grounds for Refusal

There are 11 mandatory and 14 discretionary grounds for refusal. If you are caught by any of these grounds for refusal, the application is most likely to be refused. I’ve created a very detailed article and a video explaining General Grounds for Refusal. I showed you, guys, how to check if you meet these requirements. Please feel free to explore it further.


The Attributes

You need to score 30 points for the Attributes. You’ll get it if you can provide a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). CAS is a digital document, containing a unique 14 digit reference number. You college or university will issue these documents.

English Language Requirement

There is no explicit requirement for you to score any points under appendix B for English language requirement. However, the Home Office places the responsibility of checking if you could speak English language at the appropriate level on the sponsor. If you intend to study at the degree level, you should speak the language at least B2 level. If it a below degree level, your English language efficiency should be at level B1.


Funds (Maintenance)

You need to cover the course fees in full.

Additionally, you need to show that you have £1,265 per month for living costs if you are studying in London. If you study outside London, the amount will be less. It will be £1,015 per month.

The good news is that you’ll need to show that you have these funds for a maximum of 9 months. So, even if your course is 12 months, the maximum amount you need to show is limited. If you study in London it will be course fees + £11,385 (£1,265 x 9 months). If you study outside London, it will be course fees + £9,135 (£1,015 x 9 months).


Other Requirements

To apply as a Tier 4 (General) student, you must be over the age of 16. If you are under the age of 18, you’ll need a letter from your parents. In this letter, they need to confirm that they made all the necessary travel, reception and care arrangements.  You will also need to confirm the decision maker that you are a genuine student.

I made a video, explaining this immigration category in a video format: WATCH NOW

Study in the UK as an International Student