Tier 1 (Investor) UK Visa Route. The FAQs


Do I need to Pass English Language Test?

Under this route, you don’t need to show that you have any English language ability. This is because, while you are allowed to work in the UK if you wish to, you should not need to work.


What is the Maintenance Requirement for Tier 1 (Investor) Route?

You will not need to show any maintenance (funds) because, if you have the required investment funds, you will be able to support yourself in the UK without needing help from public funds.


What Do I Need to Do if the Original Documents Are not in English Language?

No English Language Requirement for Tier 1 Investor UK Immigration Category
No English Language Requirement for Tier 1 Investor UK Immigration Category

If the document is not in English, you need to get a certified copy. The translation company can assist you with this. The translation company to confirm in writing on the translation that it’s a ‘true and accurate translation of the original document’. They also need to date and sign the translation. They should also insert the full name and contact details of the translator or a representative of the translation company.


What Do They Mean By Freely ‘Transferrable’, ‘Convertable’ and ‘Disposable in the UK’ Funds?

Your £2 million funds must be freely transferable to the UK. Also, you will need to prove that your funds will be free convertible to pounds sterling. Many countries have controls over the transfer of currency.  If your money is not

Freely ‘Transferable’, ‘Convertible’ and ‘Disposable in the UK’ Funds
Freely ‘Transferable’, ‘Convertible’ and ‘Disposable in the UK’ Funds

already in the UK, you must provide confirmation that the money can be transferred into the UK if your application is successful.

You need to pay particular attention to any international financial sanctions regimes. This is because they may affect your ability to move money into the UK. You need to provide evidence with your application that you have sought and gained any necessary approval to transfer your funds freely to the UK. If you are subject to financial sanctions, and you do not provide additional proof from the relevant official body, such as HM Treasury, that you are authorised to transfer funds to the UK, your funds cannot be regarded as freely transferrable and your application will be refused. Information on the financial sanctions regimes operated by the UK can be found at the HM Treasury section of GOV.UK.


What Do I Need to Do if Money Is Held Not in Pounds Sterling?

If your the money is not in pounds sterling special rules apply. You will need to convert its value into pounds sterling on the application form. The exchange rate used for the overseas currency will be a rate conversion made using the exchange rate shown on the OANDA website. This is on the date the application was made. The UKVI uses the OANDA database to convert any quoted amount of overseas funds into pounds sterling when considering Investor applications.


Will the Decision Maker Take Into Consideration Funds, Which Were Already Invested in the UK?


The decision maker will only accept fresh investments. This means that they will only count investments that have been made in the UK. This must be in the last 12 months immediately before the date of your initial application. If the money is already invested in the UK, you should use a portfolio of investments produced by the UK regulated financial institution as evidence that the money is available to be invested.


Can I Rely on Funds of My Husband?

Yes, you can. You may rely on money that you own together with your husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner. Alternativley, they can be sole owners of these funds. You should have unrestricted right to transfer and dispose of the money. Also, you need to have permission from your husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner to have control of this money in the UK. You must provide the evidence of your relationship and the permission to use the joint funds given in the section on supporting documents.



Tier 1 (Investor) UK Visa Route. The FAQs
Share via